Vision, Mission and Core Values
As a great American public university, the University of Mississippi will lead and excel by engaging minds, transforming lives and serving others.
The University of Mississippi's mission is to create, evaluate, share and apply knowledge in a free, open and inclusive environment of intellectual inquiry.
As its flagship university, the University of Mississippi serves the state of Mississippi, the nation and the world through teaching, research and public service. We remain committed to fostering leadership and excellence as one of the world’s great research universities.
The University of Mississippi provides an academic experience that emphasizes critical thinking; encourages intellectual depth and creativity; challenges and inspires a diverse community of undergraduate, graduate and professional students; provides enriching opportunities outside the classroom; supports lifelong learning; and develops a sense of global responsibility.
Statement of Institutional Core Values
In pursuing its mission, the University of Mississippi:
- Reaffirms its identity and purpose as fundamentally academic.
- Nurtures excellence in teaching, learning, creativity and research.
- Provides the best and most accessible undergraduate education in the state of Mississippi.
- Offers high quality graduate and professional programs.
- Protects academic freedom and cultivates individual integrity and academic honesty.
- Promotes inclusiveness in its student body, faculty and staff.
- Requires respect for all individuals and groups.
- Fosters a civil community of shared governance and collaborative endeavors.
- Practices good stewardship of its resources.
- Devotes its knowledge and abilities to serve the state and the world.
- Honors the dignity of all employees and compensates them fairly.
Learn more about the UM 2020 Strategic Plan.