Traffic & Parking
The week of the debate will present some parking and transportation challenges and inconveniences. Debate-related traffic will be directed to Old Taylor Road to provide the parking spaces required and to prevent that traffic from congesting our campus traffic.
Road and Lot Closings
All temporary road and lot closings will remain in effect until after the debate. Roads and parking lots will reopen as soon as conditions permit.
The Ford Center parking lot is already closed. There is no access to the lot from Gertrude Ford Blvd., Van Buren Ave., Depot Street or University Ave. The following road and lot closings begin the evening of the day listed.
Sunday, September 21
- Gertrude Ford Boulevard and Old Taylor Road from Highway 6 to University Avenue will be closed to all University vehicular traffic (pedestrians and bikes allowed until 5:00 PM Thursday although may be inconvenienced)
- University Avenue from the front of the Memory House to the bridge (pedestrians and bikes allowed until 5:00 PM Thursday)
- All parking on Old Taylor Road and on Gertrude Ford Boulevard will be limited to authorized, debate personnel only.
Tuesday, September 23
- Student Union Drive from Sorority Row to the Student Union parking lot
Wednesday, September 24
- University Avenue (from Grove Loop) to the Circle and the Circle (pedestrians and bikes allowed)
Thursday, September 25
- Student Union parking lot will close at the conclusion of the Brokaw event in Fulton Chapel (9:00 PM).
- Tad Smith Coliseum parking lot (except for the lot closest to NCPA) will close at 9:00 PM.
Closed routes are indicated in red on the map below.
Please be aware that this is the best information available at this time. Circumstances may require the Commission on Presidential Debates, and subsequently us, to change these plans and closures.
- Do not try to enter the campus from Old Taylor Road, Gertrude Ford Boulevard, or University Avenue.
- Try outer parking lots first. The parking lots in back of Kinard hold many cars and are largely unused.
- Don’t “camp” for a parking spot. If you don’t see a spot in a lot, please try another parking lot.
- Park at the Oxford Mall and ride the shuttle. This is a very convenient shuttle service with a pick-up nearly every 10 minutes (depending on traffic).
- Take advantage of the on campus shuttles for students, faculty, and staff. They will be clearly marked as SHUTTLE. Pick up points will be marked with signs that say “Shuttle Pick-up and Drop off.” Physical Plant will send out announcements regarding the routes.
- Come to campus at least 30 minutes early to allow for extra time to walk from parking lots that might be farther from your building.
Campus Event Parking
- If you are coming to campus for an academic event, please park in any of the open, legal parking spaces on our campus.
- Please consider parking at the Vaught-Hemingway Stadium or around the Paris Yates Chapel.
- Those in need of handicap or ADA parking accommodations, please contact the event coordinators.