"We Cannot Walk Alone:" Images and History of the African-American Community.
Lafayette County, Mississippi. An "Open Doors Exhibition." April through August
Families & Individuals
Arts & Crafts
Burns Methodist Church
"Burns Methodist Church was organized in 1870. The original church was white
frame with a light blue ceiling. In 1910, a new church was constructed on
Depot Street (Jackson Avenue) through loans by members and donations of time
to mix mortar and carry brick. The ladies brought dinner baskets to the
The church had a bell in the belfry and a foot-pedal organ. Two larger
pot-bellied stoves provided heat. The Ladies Aid cared for the brass
kerosene lamps hanging from ceiling chains which provided light.
Church activities included box suppers, church plays, and 'feasts in the
wilderness.' Boys carried girls to church in shiny buggies drawn by horses
with fancy harnesses and a decorative buggy whip. At Sunday night services,
customarily, the girl held the boy's hat in her lap.
In 1975, a new church was constructed on Mollie Barr Road and Washington
Churches, main page