"We Cannot Walk Alone:"
Images and History of the African-American Community.
Lafayette County, Mississippi. An "Open Doors Exhibition." April through August 2003.
Second Missionary Baptist Church
"The Second Missionary Baptist
Church was founded in 1869 by the Reverend Ned Johnson. Before this time
Christian slaves often attended the churches of their masters. The nucleus
of Second Baptist began with both Baptist and Methodist ex-slaves building a
brush arbor at the lower edge of the 'Old Pegues Estate,' now known as Amma
Delle Subdivision. A group of women transferred their membership from the
white Baptist church to the new church: Jane Wilburn, Jane Dickens, Eliza
Brown, Vinna Thompson, Matilda Ivy Sanders, Betty McCloud, Polly Avant, and
Martha Butler. Henry Woods, a noted slave fiddler assisted this band of
women and served as custodian.