Finding-Aid for the Buildings & Grounds Collection

MUM00525

PURL

http://purl.oclc.org/umarchives/MUM00525/

Return to Table of Contents »


Summary Information

Repository
University of Mississippi Libraries
Title
Buildings & Grounds Collection
ID
MUM00525
Date
1907-2015
Extent
1.5 Linear feet, 4 boxes
General Physical Description note
4 boxes.

Preferred Citation

Buildings & Grounds Collection (MUM00525). The Department of Archives and Special Collections, J.D. Williams Library, The University of Mississippi.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents Note

Collection contains dedication programs and invitations, correspondence, speeches, and postcards related to various buildings on the University of Mississippi campus. Items were created 1907-2015.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Mississippi Libraries 2005

Access Restrictions

Open.

Use Restriction

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Processing Information

Processed by University of Mississippi Department Special Collections Staff

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials at the University of Mississippi

Maps of the University of Mississippi campus and blueprints to various campus buildings are located in Map Collection.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • University of Mississippi -- History

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box 1 

Anderson Hall 

Dedication program. 

Baptist Student Union 

Invitation to dedication. 

Barnard/Garland/Hedleston/Leavell/Mayes/Somerville Halls: 

Dedication programs (2 copies). 

Barnard Observatory 

Cards (2) 

Historic Structures Report, Phase I (1982). 

Invitation to Dedication, November 1992. 

Program from Dedication. 

Schedule of Events for Dedication ceremony. 

"Information Concerning the East Wing of Observatory Building." 

Certificate from MDAH. Re: National Register of Historic Places, 8 December 1978. 

Request for donations to support NEH renovation of building. 

Baxter Hall 

Rededication booklet, 1991. 

Biological Field Station 

Groundbreaking program, 1996. 

Bishop Hall 

Dedication program (4 copies) 

Preliminary remarks of Chancellor at Dedication ceremony. 

Typed essay on history of building, 2 pages. 

Press release regarding Dedication, n. d. 

Introductory remarks from Chancellor at Dedication. 

Dr. Peter Kyle McCarter speech from dedication ceremony, 1969. 

Bondurant Hall 

Staff reception invitation for renovation, Jan 24, 2001. 

Bryant Hall 

Monday Report with article on dedication, 1984. 

Mary Buie Museum 

Dedicaiton program 

Pamphlets. 

Christmas card with museum on cover (2 copies). 

Pamphlet for University Museum. 

Business/Accountancy Complex 

'Groundbreaking for Addition to the Business/Accountancy Complex' program, October 20, 1995. 

"Business and Accountancy At the Next Level: The Building Campaign 

Carrier Hall 

Invitation to Dedication. 

Dedication program (3 copies). 

Governor White's acceptance remarks from dedication of Carrier Hall, 1955. 

Remarks of Chancellor at Dedication, 1955. 

Resolution signed by Chancellor Williams declaring "Carrier Day," 30 November 1955. 

Remarks of H. M. Ivy at Dedication of Carrier Hall, 1955. 

Center for Wetland Resources 

Invitation to Dedication, June 1, 2001. 

Chapel 

Invitation to Groundbreaking, 1996. 

Groundbreaking Program, 1996 (3 copies). 

Civil Rights Memorial 

Interoffice Memorandum dated April 2, 2002. Re: funds for civil rights monument 

Thad Cochran National Center for Natural Products Research 

Dedication program, 7 May, 1999.(2 copies). 

Confederate Monument 

Postcard Featuring Confederate Monument With Inscription. Photograph by Charles L. Costner, April 22, 1989. 

Conner Hall 

Invitation to Dedication 

List of Dedication Committee Members. 

Dedication program 

Speech from dedication ceremony. 

Press release regarding dedication. 

Brochure and Invitation to the Rededication of Conner Hall and the Naming of the E.H. Patterson School of Accountancy, September 10, 1999. 

Summary of computer facilities at Conner Hall for Technology Committee, June 20, 1994 

Groundbreaking for addition to Business/Accountancy Complex, 1995. 

Coulter Hall 

Dedication program. 

Dead House/Delta Kappa Epsilon 

research notes, 2015 

Deaton Hall 

Biographical sketch of Eula Deaton. 

Message from Kate Skipwith. 

Article from MSCW Alumnae News (November 1941). 

Margaret Deaton to "Miss Kate," 1 April 1950. 

Mary H. Fulton to Miss Hefley, 19 May 1950. 

Letter from George H. Deaton, 5 May 1952. 

Letter from George H. Deaton to Estella G. Hefley, 5 May 1952. 

Letter from Janie R. Taylor to Miss Hefley, 11 May 1952. 

Dedication program (3 copies). 

Dedication speech. 

Dedication schedule. 

Letter from Mary H. Fulton to Miss Hefley, 19 May 1952. 

Letter from Estella G. Hefley to Herman Deaton, 8 October 1952. 

Letter from Mary B. Deaton to Estella G. Hefley, 30 June 1953. 

2 envelopes. 

Depot (Oxford) 

Materials relating to the 2004 renovation of the Oxford/University railroad depot. 

DeSoto Center (Southaven, MS) 

Invitation to opening of new center, 1995. 

Farley Hall 

Reopening invitation, 2008. 

Faser Hall 

Invitations (2 copies). 

Dedication program (3 copies). 

Letter from Henry M. Faser to Joe B. McCaskill, 24 June 1970. 

Dedication speech, 14 June 1970. 

Program from dedication of Austin P. Dodge Pharmacy Library, Faser Hall, 6 December 1973. 

Field House 

Dedication program, 1930(5 copies). 

Groundbreaking for addition to 'Doc Knight' Field House, 1990s. 

Will and Susan Galtney Center for Academic Computing 

Informational brochure 

George Hall 

Rededication program, 1994. 

Gillom Sports Center 

Dedication program. 

Invitation to dedication (2000) 

Golf Club House 

Dedication program. 

Gordon Hall 

Specification for building Gordon Hall. 

Guess Hall 

Invitation to dedication. 

Dedication program (3 copies). 

List of Dedication Committee. 

Speech from dedication. 

Letter from J. D. Williams to Faculty and Staff regarding dedication, 20 April 1961. 

Gymnasium 

"An Opportunity for the Alumni, Ex-Students and Friends of the University of Mississippi," 1925. 

Harrison Health Center 

Dedication program, 1991. 

Hederman-Hussey Pavilion 

Invitation and Program from the Dedication of the Hederman-Hussey Pavilion, September 17, 1999. 

Hefley Hall 

Dedication program (2 copies). 

Hollingsworth Chemistry Lecture Center 

Invitation and Program from the Dedication of the Dr. Jeff Hollingsworth Chemistry Lecture Center for the Health Related Professions, September 17, 1999. 

Holman Hall 

Dedication program, Oct 14, 1997. 

Hume Hall 

Dedication program, 1964 (7 copies). 

Dedication program, 1968. 

"A Directory of the Hume Honor Gallery" (3 copies). 

Invitation to dedication. 

List of Dedication Committee. 

Biographical sketch of Alfred Hume. 

Speech from dedication. 

Announcement regarding dedication, 3 December 1968. 

The Inn at Ole Miss 

Dedication Invitation, 2008. 

Clint and Ellen Ann Johnson Pharmacy Student Center 

Invitation to the Dedication, November 5, 1999. 

Paul B. Johnson Commons 

Invitation (2 copies). 

Dedication program (3 copies). 

Speech from dedication. 

Kennon Observatory 

W.L. Kennon, "The Physics Building Project at the University of Mississippi" (reprinted from American Journal of Physics 8 (October 1940). 

Law Center: 

Dedication program. 

Christmas Card with Law Center on cover. 

Guidebook to Tour of Physics Building and Observatory," 1942 (2 copies). 

Law Center 

Dedication of LQC Lamar Hall and the James O. Eastland Library, 1980. 

Christmas card 

Lewis Hall: see also Kennon Observatory 

Dedication of Research Addition, 1994 (2 copies). 

Library 

Christmas Card with Library on cover. 

Dedication program, 1992 (2 copies). 

Description of printers' imprints. 

Invitation to dedication, 1951. 

Invitation to Renovation, 1997. 

JD Williams Renovation Pamphlet, c. 1995. 

Copy of promotional flyer for the Carthage Marble Corporation, used in Library construction, September 1952. 

Invitations to events honoring dedication of Seymour Lawrence Reading Room, April 17, 1993. 

Layout map of library with copy of TL 1/31/92 from architects 

Return to Table of Contents »


Box 2 

Trent Lott Leadership Institute 

"Ole Miss to develop Leadership Institute" in DM, Jan 20, 1999; Ctrl #2000-55. 

Lyceum 

Building Bond, 1902. 

Rededication program, April 27, 2001. 

Rededication invitation, April 27, 2001. 

"Celebration Weekend, April 27-29, 2001." 

McCain Hall 

Dedication program (2 copies). 

Speech by Admiral William F. Halsey, 7 October 1947. 

Information for the press regarding dedication of McCain Hall. 

Reproduction of photograph, n. d. 

Christmas Card by William Carey Lester, 1970. 

Medical Center, Jackson 

Dedication program, 1955 (2 copies). 

Map of campus (2 copies). 

Meek Hall 

Dedication program (9 copies). 

Invitation (2 copies). 

List of Committee members. 

Speech from dedication (2 copies). 

Memory House 

Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony, 1995. 

Miller Hall 

Dedication prorgram, 1959. 

Mississippi Center for Continuing Studies 

Brochure 

National Center for the Development of Natural Products 

The National Center for the Development of Natural Products, c.1999 

The Maynard W. Quimby Medicinal Plant Garden brochure, 1999. 

Groundbreaking, 1990. 

Oxford-University Stadium Swayze Field 

Dedication invitation, 1989. 

John N. Palmer/Mitchell Salloum Tennis Center: 

Dedication program, 1991. 

Paris-Yates Chapel and Peddle Bell Tower 

Dedication booklet (slightly waterdamaged), Apr 28, 2001. 

Dedication invitation, Apr 28, 2001. 

David S. Pankratz Building, UM Medical Center, Jackson 

Dedication program, 1993 (3 copies). 

Phi Mu Commemorative Fountain 

Invitation to dedication, August 2002 

Return to Table of Contents »


Box 3: Postcards 

1. New Dormitory, c. 1909 (2 copies). Note: One card annotated by University Student. 

2. New Dormitory and Mess Hall, c. 1909 (2 copies). 

3. Postcard book, c. 1907 featuring Oxford City Hall, Entrance to Campus, Ventress, Lyceum, Woman's Hall, Barnard Observatory, University Training School, and Confederate Monument. 

4. Chapel, 1923. 

4a. Library (Ventress Hall), c. 1910. Note: Card Annotated by University Student. 

5. Library (Bryant Hall), 1923. 

6. Lyceum, reflected in Fountain, 1907. 

7. Lyceum, 1907. 

8. Lamar Hall (School of Law), 1955. 

9. Library, c. 1955. 

10. Cafeteria (Johnson Commons), c. 1955. 

11. Bondurant Hall, c. 1955. 

12. Lyceum, c. 1955. 

13. Ventress and Confederate Monument, c. 1908. 

14. Alumni House, n. d. (2 copies). 

15. Woman's Hall, c. 1911. 

16. Entrance to University, n. d. 

17. University of Mississippi v. Mississippi A & M "teddy bear" baseball game, c. 1908. 

18. "Campus View," n. d. 

19. Gordon Hall, n. d. 

20. Lamar Hall, n.d. [1950-1960's]. 

21. Observatory and McCain Hall, n.d. 

22. Geology Building, n.d. 

23. University of Mississippi Medical Center, n.d. 

24. Alumni House, n.d 

25. The Library, n.d. 

26. Fulton Chapel, graduates in robes, n.d. 

27. Mary Buie Museum dedication program, newspaper clipping on dedication 

28. Baptist Student Center invitation to dedication 

29. Barnard Hall/Garland Hall/Hedleston Hall/Leavell Hall/Mayes Hall/Somerville Hall dedication programs (2 copies) 

30. Field House dedication programs (5 copies) 

31. Anderson Hall, dedication program 

Return to Table of Contents »


Box 4: Oversized 

Assorted blueprints and documents related to prospective renovation of Bryant Hall for the Archives & Special Collections circa 2003-2004. Instead of the archives, the Classics department occupied the newly renovated building instead. 

Return to Table of Contents »