Forms & Policies:
Policies Regarding Use of the Rowan Oak Papers
1. The manuscripts are open to graduate students, faculty, and to qualified researchers who make application to the University Archivist for permission to examine the manuscripts.
2. Before any notes are taken from the manuscripts a request must be submitted for approval from the University Archivist. The request must include name and institutional affiliation of the scholar, subject of study, purpose of study, and specific request.
3. In order to conserve the manuscripts only photocopies of the papers will be supplied to in-house readers. Scholars interested in examining the originals may seek permission from the University Archivist. Such permission will not be accorded, pro forma. Photocopies of the papers are not permitted.
4. Permission to consult a manuscript does not imply the right to publish any part of it.
Manuscripts may not be used for publication without due regard for common law rights, and laws on literary property, libel, invasion of privacy, etc.: the user assumes all legal responsibility for observing these rights.
Two kinds of copyright may apply with respect to manuscripts of whatever age: (1) Unpublished manuscripts enjoy perpetual copyright under common law; they may not be lawfully published even by the owner of the physical property without the consent of the author or those who claim under him by assignment, devise, or estate rights. (2) Even if a manuscript has been fully and accurately published, republication may invade statutory copyright.
- The user must agree to “hold harmless” The University of Mississippi in all cases of legal action.
- The user must also contact Special Collections, The University of Mississippi before publication.
- Permission to quote or to publish does not imply that such permission is exclusive in that it covers more than the specific project or the publication described.
5. Publication in any form should cite the source of the material as follows: The Rowan Oak Papers, Archives and Special Collections, The University of Mississippi.
I understand and agree to the policies governing the use of the Rowan Oak Papers.