Modern Political Archives:
Political Research & Reference
Follow the links below to aid you in your research:
- Using Congressional Collections: Explanations and discussions of the complexities inherent in congressional papers and their myriad uses for research. Also includes suggestions for tracking down assistance in interpreting data commonly located in congressional collections.
- Online Resources: Links to websites with online primary resources related to the federal government and the state of Mississippi or to websites that offer assistance in locating collections for research.
- Print Resources: Selection of print material available on the federal government and the state of Mississippi with links to their University of Mississippi library catalog entries.
Subject guides provide brief descriptions of collections related to a specific topic. They also include links to finding aids with more detailed information about the contents of a particular collection.
- Politics & Government Subject Guide. Includes separate pages on the 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. Collections cover all those in the Archives & Special Collections, not just the Modern Political Archives. Most of the material is related specifically to Mississippi. The subject guide also contains a separate list of all Congressional Collections held by the department.
- Presidential Debate Subject Guide. Created to coincide with the 26 September 2008 presidential debate on the campus of the University of Mississippi. Resources listed include publications, databases, websites, and archival material related to presidential debates, campaigns, and elections. It also contains a list of audio recordings and publications in the Blues Archive that reference presidents in blues lyrics.
- Criminal Justice & Parchman Penitentiary Subject Guide. Outlines publications and collection material in the Archives & Special Collections on the criminal justice system in Mississippi, including law enforcement, the courts, criminals, and the penal system. A significant segment of the list pertains specifically to the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.