Library Study Carrels
The John Davis Williams Library located in the heart of the University of Mississippi campus offers students many different types of study areas including three group study rooms, seating areas on each floor and private individual faculty and graduate student study carrels. These individual study carrels are available to current faculty and graduate students ONLY. As of January 2012, faculty carrels will no longer be issued to emeritus faculty. The private carrels are located on the 2nd Floor, 3rd Floor and the Mezzanines. They are small, but are closed with a locking door. Each carrel has a desk, chair and bookshelf for storage. When reserving a carrel, students are charged $25. This covers a $5 non-refundable fee and a $20 refundable deposit when the key is returned. Only one faculty or graduate student is assigned to a carrel at a time and they are not transferable. Graduate student carrels are renewable each semester by contacting Library Administration at 915-7092. Note: There is an extensive waiting list.
If you would like to apply for a study carrel, you can print out the application or pick up one up in the Administrative Suite, Room 312. Applications are kept on file in the order in which they are received.
Study Carrel Policies are as follows:
- There will be ABSOLUTELY NO APPLIANCES allowed in a carrel (microwaves, coffee pots, toasters, heaters, fans, refrigerators, etc.).
- The Library will not be responsible for any items left in a carrel (books, papers, computer equipment, etc.) which could be stolen or damaged due to incidents beyond our control.
- An individual will be denied the use of his/her carrel if it is not renewed by the time stated in the communication (e-mail, letter, etc.)
- The Library staff reserve the right to perform unannounced checks of all study carrels.
- Any individual found to be in violation of any policy will immediately lose their carrel privileges.