Information Literacy Mission, Program Goals & Outcomes
The most basic definition of information literacy is: "the ability to locate, evaluate, and use information to become independent life-long learners"
The Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education were created by a division of the American Library Association, the Association of College and Research Libraries. 1
The University of Mississippi Libraries’ information literacy program provides dynamic, comprehensive, and progressive instruction for all students on all UM campuses.
The primary mission is to ensure that the graduates of the University of Mississippi are information literate—able to identify and use information appropriately in academic, job- related and personal contexts.
Program Goals and Outcomes
The UM Libraries and Information Literacy Committee will ensure that students acquire basic information literacy skills.
- Student will comprehend the process of persistent and creative information seeking;
- Students will be able to distinguish appropriate resources for academic, job-related and personal use;
- Students will understand the ethical use of information.
Librarians and teaching faculty will collaborate to prepare students for lifelong learning.
- Incorporate teaching information literacy skills across the disciplines, from freshmen through graduate students;
- Make use of online resources to further faculty, staff, and student learning;
- Collaborate with individuals, departments, schools and administration to build a culture of assessment.
Improve librarian teaching skills in order to convey information literacy principles effectively to
- Construct a framework of assessment for library student learning;
- Promote innovations in teaching through collaboration with University educational centers;
- Provide faculty and staff with learning opportunities and materials that support the integration of information literacy into the university curriculum.
1American Library Association. (2000). Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. Retrieved
July 3, 2012 from http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/informationliteracycompetency#stan