Plagiarism & Academic Honesty:
The University of Mississippi's Information Literacy Committee and the Office of Online Design & eLearning have created a video and quiz on plagiarism and academic honesty. This project grew out of concerns about rising rates of academic dishonesty and students' lack of knowledge about plagiarism.
The Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education frame “Information Has Value,” lists the following knowledge practices and dispositions for students:
- Give credit to the original ideas of others through proper attribution and citation
- Understand that intellectual property is a legal and social construct
- Respect the original ideas of others
- Value the skills, time, and effort needed to produce knowledge
- See themselves as contributors to the information marketplace rather than only consumers of it
- The video is five minutes long.
- You may watch the video as many times as needed to understand the concepts.
- The video is on the library website and as part of the plagiarism quiz.
Find the Quiz
The plagiarism and academic honesty quiz is available for all current students, faculty, and staff in myOleMiss.
- Students can find the Plagiarism Quiz by logging into myOleMiss.
- Select the Students tab, and then "Academics" apps.
- Choose "Plagiarism Quiz".
- On the first screen, you will see a record of your five most recent attempts and scores (if available).
- The second screen presents the tutorial and video.
- Immediately following the five minute video is a brief, eight question quiz.
- If you have already watched the video, click on Next Page to go directly to the quiz.
- Once completed, you'll get feedback on your quiz including the correct answers for each question
- Your results will be available to your professor.
- Faculty/Instructors can locate their student quiz results through MyOleMiss and click on: Course Administration >> Class Rolls and Grades
- Choose the current semester
- Under "Course Listing for Instructor" use the pull down menu and choose Plagiarism Quiz Results to see students' results.