The Compensation/Classification Area assists departments and employees by providing guidance and advice to ensure that, through the reclassification of existing positions and the establishment of new positions, jobs are classified accurately, with interdepartmental continuity, and in accordance with University, state, and federal regulations. This group focuses on establishing salaries that are equitable and adhere to the University's Variable Compensation Plan in the spirit of increasing morale, motivation, and productivity in an effort to retain high quality, experienced personnel.
Pay Structures and Information
- Variable Compensation Plan VCP
- Classified Pay Rate Ranges
- UM Pay Step Chart
- Exception Salary Guidelines
Creating a New Position and Reclassifying an Existing Position
Any time a department wishes to establish a new permanent position, the department must submit a Job Analysis Questionnaire (JAQ). JAQs are also submitted when a department is requesting the reclassification of a current permanent position. The purpose of a JAQ is to request a review of a position, to measure performance, and assist in appropriately classifying a position.
- Job Analysis Questionnaire (JAQ) Process Overview
- HR 31 (for exempt classifications)
- HR 33 (for non-exempt classifications)
- HR 35 (Minimum Qualifications Questionnaire-for new classifications only)
There are three different forms associated with the JAQ process:
Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Drug & Alcohol Testing - Preemployment, Reasonable Suspicion, & Post-Accident