To advance the mission of the University by providing superior information technology services to our clients through teamwork, partnership, and innovation.
News & Accomplishments
- Jimmy Ball attended the IHL’s 2014 Ethics Workshop held at Jackson State University.
- Brian Hopkins co-authored the ECAR paper titled, Research Data Storage: A Framework for Success (July 2014).
- Robby Seitz attended the "An Event Apart" conference on website design and user experience in Boston.
- Kathy Gates made a presentation titled, SLcM Innovations to Support Teaching and Learning, at the 2014 HERUG conference in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Chris Reichley made a presentation titled, "Automated Attendance Monitoring and Intervention for Student Success," at the March 2014 EDUCAUSE Connect conference in Chicago.
- Teresa McCarver gave a presentation called, "Demystifying Cloud Storage Using Box Online Storage and Collaboration" at the 2014 Creating Futures Through Technology Conference in Biloxi, MS in March 2014.
- Together with Betsy Tippens Reinitz and Joseph Vaughn, Kathy Gates co-authored the article, "Straight Talk About the Clouds," in the February 2014 issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Online.
- Kathy Gates, Dawn Wilkins, Sumali Conlon, Sue Mossing, and Maurice Eftink co-authored a chapter titled, "Maximizing the Value of Student Ratings Through Data Mining," (chapter #14) in the text, Educational Data Mining, in December 2013.
- Kathy Gates facilitated the EDUCAUSE SERC CIO and executive IT Leadership Roundtable in May, 2013.
- Mary Robinson attended DAS Installation and Commissioning training in May 2013.
- Kathy Gates participated in a University Business Webinar titled, "Creating an Effective Mobile App for Higher Ed" on May 7, 2013.
- In April 2013, Al Ling made a presentation on UM's employee self-service features at the 2013 SAP HERUG conference.
- In April 2013, Chris Reichley made a presentation on UM's attendance tracking solution at the 2013 SAP HERUG conference.
- David Drewrey currently serves on the MEGAPOP Board of Directors, and he represents UM in the Southeast Data Security Roundtable organization.
- Michele Mize currently serves as President of the Mississippi Communications Technology Alliance.
- Kathy Gates is currently serving on the Internet2 Member Relations and Programs PAG and the SAP Higher Education and Research Advisory Council (HERAC).
- Mary Robinson is a BICSI Certified Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD).
- Stan Fortner and Robert Barbee attended Triveni PSIP training.
- Chris Reichley was invited to write a second blog article for the SAP Community Network (SCN), this one entitled “The University of Mississippi: Debugging and Refining Our Gateway Services.”
Chief Information Officer
Kathy Gates has served as the Chief Information Officer for the University of Mississippi since February 2006. Prior professional experiences include working as a software developer for AT&T Bell Laboratories and as a technical consultant for the Mississippi Center for Supercomputing Research. Gates received M.S. degrees in Mathematics and Computer and Information Science from The Ohio State University and the Ph.D. degree in Engineering Science from the University of Mississippi. She is involved in many initiatives related to technology and higher education. Current areas of focus include text mining, mobile computing, and Web applications that interface with SAP.
IT reports to the Provost and is organized around the following divisions: