To advance the mission of the University by providing superior information technology services to our clients through teamwork, partnership, and innovation.
News & Accomplishments
- Al Ling was featured at the 2015 SAP TechEd conference where he discussed UM's Suite on HANA project.
- Robby Seitz and Harshul Sharma were featured in the October 2015 Campus Technology article discussing UM's efforts around accessibility and responsiveness of myOleMiss.
- Kathy Gates is serving as a faculty member for the EDUCAUSE Leadership Program.
- Shweta Shakya and Jie Tang made a presentation titled, "A successful recipe for a streamlined approach to multiple supplemental applications," at HighEdWeb Alabama in Tuscaloosa Al, June 2015
- Frank Mathew co-presented with Geof Corb of Johns Hopkins University on "Making a Business Case for HANA" at SAP ASUG SAPPHIRE in Orlando Fl, May 2015
- Frank Mathew presented on "Success with a Responsive, Accessible and intuitive enterprise portal" at SAP ASUG SAPPHIRE in Orlando Fl, May 2015
- Harshul Sharma and Robby Seitz presented on Accessibility and our Portal Project at the EDUCAUSE Connect conference in San Antonio, TX, April 2015
- Kathy Gates and Robin Miller (remotely) made a presentation titled, "Suite on HANA and the University of Mississippi," at the 2015 HERUG conference. (April 2015)
- Al Ling made a presentation titled, "Milestones in Finance and Administration at the University of Mississippi," at the 2015 HERUG conference. (April 2015)
- Jimmy Ball presented his paper titled, Can an Evolutionary Development Teaching Model Accelerate Programmer Competency for Beginners?, at the SWDSI 2015 Annual Meeting in Houston, TX. (March 2015)
- Teresa McCarver, Mia Hardy and Jimmy Ball presented at the Google in the Classroom Conference, sponsored by the School of Education. (February 2015)
- Susan Lukose and Chris Reichley presented titled, I Can See Clearly Now: Gaining Insight into Academic Processes through Analytics at the annual EDUCAUSE conference in Orlando, FL, October 2014
- Kathy Gates made a presentation with Mark Askren from the University of Nebraska Lincoln titled, Planning for the Future: The Next CIO at the 2014 Annual EDUCAUSE conference.
- Chris Barnes crossed a major IT milestone by logging and closing over 10,000 IT Helpdesk tickets. Chris was honored with a plaque to show our appreciation for his work ethic, service and commitment. (July 2014)
- Jimmy Ball attended the IHL’s 2014 Ethics Workshop held at Jackson State University.
- Kathy Gates was one of ten CIOs in the US and UK who participated in an effort sponsored by EDUCAUSE and JISC to define the characteristics of successful higher education CIOs. This work has been featured in several presentations and articles such as: Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader .
- Brian Hopkins co-authored the ECAR paper titled, Research Data Storage: A Framework for Success (July 2014).
- Robby Seitz attended the "An Event Apart" conference on website design and user experience in Boston.
- Kathy Gates made a presentation titled, SLcM Innovations to Support Teaching and Learning, at the 2014 HERUG conference in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Chris Reichley made a presentation titled, "Automated Attendance Monitoring and Intervention for Student Success," at the March 2014 EDUCAUSE Connect conference in Chicago.
- Teresa McCarver gave a presentation called, "Demystifying Cloud Storage Using Box Online Storage and Collaboration" at the 2014 Creating Futures Through Technology Conference in Biloxi, MS in March 2014.
- Together with Betsy Tippens Reinitz and Joseph Vaughn, Kathy Gates co-authored the article, "Straight Talk About the Clouds," in the February 2014 issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Online.
- Kathy Gates, Dawn Wilkins, Sumali Conlon, Sue Mossing, and Maurice Eftink co-authored a chapter titled, "Maximizing the Value of Student Ratings Through Data Mining," (chapter #14) in the text, Educational Data Mining, in December 2013.
- Kathy Gates facilitated the EDUCAUSE SERC CIO and executive IT Leadership Roundtable in May, 2013.
- Mary Robinson attended DAS Installation and Commissioning training in May 2013.
- Kathy Gates participated in a University Business Webinar titled, "Creating an Effective Mobile App for Higher Ed" on May 7, 2013.
- In April 2013, Al Ling made a presentation on UM's employee self-service features at the 2013 SAP HERUG conference.
- In April 2013, Chris Reichley made a presentation on UM's attendance tracking solution at the 2013 SAP HERUG conference.
- David Drewrey currently serves on the MEGAPOP Board of Directors, and he represents UM in the Southeast Data Security Roundtable organization.
- Michele Mize currently serves as President of the Mississippi Communications Technology Alliance.
- Kathy Gates is currently serving on the Internet2 Member Relations and Programs PAG and the SAP Higher Education and Research Advisory Council (HERAC).
- Mary Robinson is a BICSI Certified Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD).
- Stan Fortner and Robert Barbee attended Triveni PSIP training.
- Chris Reichley was invited to write a second blog article for the SAP Community Network (SCN), this one entitled “The University of Mississippi: Debugging and Refining Our Gateway Services.”
Chief Information Officer
Kathy Gates has served as the Chief Information Officer for the University of Mississippi since February 2006. Prior professional experiences include working as a software developer for AT&T Bell Laboratories and as a technical consultant for the Mississippi Center for Supercomputing Research. Gates received M.S. degrees in Mathematics and Computer and Information Science from The Ohio State University and the Ph.D. degree in Engineering Science from the University of Mississippi. She is involved in many initiatives related to technology and higher education. Current areas of focus include text mining, mobile computing, and Web applications that interface with SAP.
IT reports to the Provost and is organized around the following divisions: