News and Activities
- SPS LIGO Tour
— April 11, 2014.
The UM SPS took a day trip to Livingston LA for a tour of the LIGO lab. The lab tour was organized by Dr. Cavaglià, a UM Physics faculty member, who is the leader of the LIGO team at UM and Assistant Spokesperson of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration. He accompanied ten SPS students along with Dr. Labuda the SPS faculty coordinator to the LIGO lab.
Group Photo in the LIGO Control room. More photos can be seen here .
- The Mississippi Academy
of Sciences 78th Annual Meeting — March 6 - 7, 2014.
The meeting was held at the Hattiesburg Lake Terrace Convention Center, Hattiesburg, MS. The annual meeting is comprised of addresses, symposia, workshops, scientific papers, and exhibits grouped by division. At this meeting, 7 physics graduate students from the University of Mississippi gave talks. The following are photos taken of them at the meeting:
- Olemiss Physics Alumni Amanda
Gamble Wood's Engineering class at Tupelo High School
wins the VEX robotics state championship
— February 26, 2014.
Also please see the article in the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.
- SPS (Society of Physics Students) Zone 10
Meeting — February 21 - 22, 2014.
The meeting was held at Rhodes College, Memphis TN. The following are photos taken at the meeting:
Group Photo. More photos can be seen here .
- Dr. Ahmed Hamed's contribution on the “ Direct Photon Correlations” to the STAR Collaboration Meeting - Spring 2014 — February 10 - 14, 2014
- Dr. Ahmed Hamed's contributions, “Physics at Different Scales (Plank Length to Cosmological Horizon)” and the “ RHIC Physics, Why? and How?” to the Advanced Workshop on LHC Physics and Cosmology — February 3 - 14, 2014
- Fellowship for Graduate Studies in Physical Acoustics is offered beginning in 2014.
- Workshop on “Testing General Relativity with Astrophysical Observations” — January 6 - 10, 2014
- University of Mississippi Chapter of the SPS (Society of Physics Students) is designated a “Distinguished SPS Chapter”.
- Dr. Ahmed Hamed's contribution on the “Direct Photon v2 Measurement ” and the “ JetCorr PWG Summary + QM2014 Topics” to the 2013 STAR Collaboration Meeting — October 14 - 19, 2013
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2013 was awarded jointly to François Englert and Peter W. Higgs “for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN's Large Hadron Collider.”
- Dr. Ahmed Hamed's contribution on the
“Direct Photon Status at STAR Experiment” to
9th International Workshop on High-pT Physics at LHC — September 24 - 28, 2013
- Dr. Breese Quinn's video has been selected as the best video for “Why Particle Physics Matters” by Symmetry, a magazine about particle physics for the general public published by Fermilab and SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (See Why Particle Physics Matters).
- Muon g-2 ring moving through the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway in Mississippi — July 15, 2013
- SPS (Society of Physics Students) Zone 10 Meeting — April 5 - 6, 2013
- Higgs Boson Confirmed.
- Ahmed Rashed is a winner of the 2013 Graduate Student Achievement Award This award is one of two in Area A, which includes Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Philosophy and Religions, and Physics and Astronomy. Ahmed dedicates this award to his wife.
Students from Tougaloo college visited the Department of Physics and Astronomy. Besides meeting our faculty they took a walk around campus (including a tour of the National Center for Physical Acoustics and of the Center for Manufacturing Excellence ) and heard about career opportunities in physics and other STEM disciplines. This visit was supported in part by Dr. Emanuele Berti’s NSF CAREER Award.
This is a picture of the whole group, including amazing Dr. Donald Cole (watch this video!), around James Meredith’s statue. This is a special year for Ole Miss: we are commemorating the 50th anniversary of the enrollment of James Meredith with a series of events on Opening the Closed Society.
The building you can see in the back is the Physics Department (Lewis Hall).
He received the award at the 4th International Summer School on Neutrino Physics
co-hosted by Virginia Tech and Fermilab, which took place at Virginia Tech's Center for
Neutrino Physics in Blacksburg, Virginia from July 10th to July 21st, 2012.
The lecturers assigned some questions to the participants to address in the tutorial sessions in groups. His group was formed from three students (one theorist and two experimentalists) and addressed three questions; do the charged leptons oscillate, how to use neutrinos to set up a fast communications link to do insider trading, and construct a model to explain the relationship between the sine of the reactor neutrino mixing angle and the ratio of the neutrino solar and atmospheric mass-squared differences. His group was one of three groups (out of twenty groups) that got a presentation award.
A transit of Venus will start at about 5 PM CDT on June 5th 2012. This is a fairly rare
occurrence with the next one happening in 2117. As with a solar eclipse Venus, instead of
the Moon, will pass across the face of the Sun. As with a solar eclipse, this may be
observed either through a filtered telescope or by projection.
See Wikipedia and
NASA for more details. A live
webcast is also available at the
Local Transit Times
Photos Taken at the University of Mississippi
Taken through a 70-mm TeleVue Pronto refractor Telescope
Taken through a 70-mm TeleVue Pronto refractor Telescope
Projection using “Sunspotter” Solar Telescope
Taken through a 12-in Mede LX200 reflector Telescope
The Mississippi Section of American Association of Physics Teachers (MAP) will meet on the University of Mississippi campus in Oxford, MS.
The Graduate Instructor
Excellence in Teaching Award is sponsored by the Center for Excellence in Teaching and
Learning. They were especially impressed with his teaching philosophy and his high ratings
on student evaluations. And especially appreciated his comment about helping
“facilitate discoveries” in Physics 223-224.
The Golden Apple Award and $1000 check was presented to him at the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony on Friday May 13, 2011 at the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts.
|The Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship is a summer program sponsored by the Department of Energy. She will be working on research concerning the behavior of dust particles in plasma environments.|
- 2010 Physics Nobel Prize
- 2010 Sigma Pi Sigma Induction
- Spooky Science Open House — October 29, 2010
Photos. (Click on these thumbnails for larger versions)
QuickTime Movie Slide Show ( MOV)
- MAP (Mississippi Association of Physicists) Fall Meeting — October 8-9, 2010
- 2010 Physics Departmental Spring Picnic ( Photos)
- Neutrino Factory and Muon Collider Collaboration (NFMCC) Meeting — January 13 - 16, 2010
- 2009 Physics Nobel Prize
- MAP (Mississippi Association of Physicists) Fall Meeting — October 30-31, 2009
- Spooky Science Open House — October 30, 2009
- Public Lecture: “Black Holes: Their Birth and Violent Interactions” — October 20, 2009
- Astronomy's New Messengers: Listening to the Universe with Gravitational Waves — August 26th - September 6th, 2009 at the Mary Buie Museum
- International Year of Astronomy — 2009
- Celebrating 400 Years of Galileo and His Telescope — September 14, 2009
- Einstein's Cosmic Messengers Concert — February 5-6, 2009
- 2008 Physics Nobel Prize
- LHC Startup Party
- MAP (Mississippi Association of Physicists) Fall Meeting — November 8, 2008
- Spooky Science Open House — October 31, 2008
- 2008 Sigma Pi Sigma Induction
- QuarkNet Workshop — June 23 - 25, 2008
- DOSAR Workshop VI — April 17-18, 2008
- Fourth Gulf Coast Gravity Meeting, Oxford MS — March 7-8, 2008
- APS 2007 Physics News
- Scientific Instrument Collections in Universities Workshop (SICU2) — 21 - 24 June 2007
- MAP ( Mississippi Association of Physicists) Spring Meeting — February 17, 2007
- Workshop/School on gravity and theoretical physics — January 8-11, 2007
- MAP ( Mississippi Association of Physicists) Spring Meeting — April 8, 2006
- Visit to LIGO Site — April 7, 2006
- SPS (Society of Physics Students) Zone 10 Meeting — March 31 - April 1, 2006
- Quantum Gravity 2005 (QG05) Conference
- 2005 Commencement
- DOSAR Workshop '05 at Ole' Miss
- 2004 Muon Collider - Ring Cooler Workshop