News and Activities
- SPS (Society of Physics Students) Zone 10 Meeting — April 5 - 6, 2013
- Ahmed Rashed is a winner of the 2013 Graduate Student Achievement Award This award is one of two in Area A, which includes Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Philosophy and Religions, and Physics and Astronomy. Ahmed dedicates this award to his wife.
- Spooky Science Open House — October 27, 2012
- 2012 Physics Nobel Prize
Tougaloo students visit Ole Miss — September 25, 2012
Students from Tougaloo college visited the Department of Physics and Astronomy. Besides meeting our faculty they took a walk around campus (including a tour of the National Center for Physical Acoustics and of the Center for Manufacturing Excellence ) and heard about career opportunities in physics and other STEM disciplines. This visit was supported in part by Dr. Emanuele Berti’s NSF CAREER Award.
This is a picture of the whole group, including amazing Dr. Donald Cole (watch this video!), around James Meredith’s statue. This is a special year for Ole Miss: we are commemorating the 50th anniversary of the enrollment of James Meredith with a series of events on Opening the Closed Society.
The building you can see in the back is the Physics Department (Lewis Hall).
- The paper, "Black-Hole Bombs and Photon-Mass Bounds" by the University of Mississippi General Relativity Group has been published in Physical Review Letters, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 131102 (2012)
Ahmed Rashed received an award while attending the 4th International Summer School on
Neutrino Physics — July 10 - 21, 2012
He received the award at the 4th International Summer School on Neutrino Physics
co-hosted by Virginia Tech and Fermilab, which took place at Virginia Tech's Center for
Neutrino Physics in Blacksburg, Virginia from July 10th to July 21st, 2012.
The lecturers assigned some questions to the participants to address in the tutorial sessions in groups. His group was formed from three students (one theorist and two experimentalists) and addressed three questions; do the charged leptons oscillate, how to use neutrinos to set up a fast communications link to do insider trading, and construct a model to explain the relationship between the sine of the reactor neutrino mixing angle and the ratio of the neutrino solar and atmospheric mass-squared differences. His group was one of three groups (out of twenty groups) that got a presentation award.
- CERN Experiments Observe Particle Consistent with Long-Sought Higgs Boson — July 4, 2012
- LIGO eLab Workshop — June 11 - 12, 2012
Transit of Venus — June 5, 2012
A transit of Venus will start at about 5 PM CDT on June 5th 2012. This is a fairly rare
occurrence with the next one happening in 2117. As with a solar eclipse Venus, instead of
the Moon, will pass across the face of the Sun. As with a solar eclipse, this may be
observed either through a filtered telescope or by projection.
See Wikipedia and
NASA for more details. A live
webcast is also available at the
Local Transit Times
Photos Taken at the University of Mississippi
Taken through a 70-mm TeleVue Pronto refractor Telescope
Taken through a 70-mm TeleVue Pronto refractor Telescope
Projection using “Sunspotter” Solar Telescope
Taken through a 12-in Mede LX200 reflector Telescope
- Charles Sabatier Named 2012 FCPS Teacher of the Year
- MAP (Mississippi Association of
Physicists) Spring Meeting — April 13 - 14, 2012
The Mississippi Section of American Association of Physics Teachers (MAP) will meet on the University of Mississippi campus in Oxford, MS.
- Ahmed Rashed has received the Forum on Graduate Student Affairs (FGSA) Travel Award up to $500 from the American Physical Society (APS) for Excellence in Graduate Research.
The Graduate Instructor
Excellence in Teaching Award is sponsored by the Center for Excellence in Teaching and
Learning. They were especially impressed with his teaching philosophy and his high ratings
on student evaluations. And especially appreciated his comment about helping
“facilitate discoveries” in Physics 223-224.
The Golden Apple Award and $1000 check was presented to him at the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony on Friday May 13, 2011 at the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts.
|The Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship is a summer program sponsored by the Department of Energy. She will be working on research concerning the behavior of dust particles in plasma environments.|
- 2010 Physics Nobel Prize
- 2010 Sigma Pi Sigma Induction
- Spooky Science Open House — October 29, 2010
Photos. (Click on these thumbnails for larger versions)
QuickTime Movie Slide Show ( MOV)
- MAP (Mississippi Association of Physicists) Fall Meeting — October 8-9, 2010
- 2010 Physics Departmental Spring Picnic ( Photos)
- Neutrino Factory and Muon Collider Collaboration (NFMCC) Meeting — January 13 - 16, 2010
- 2009 Physics Nobel Prize
- MAP (Mississippi Association of Physicists) Fall Meeting — October 30-31, 2009
- Spooky Science Open House — October 30, 2009
- Public Lecture: “Black Holes: Their Birth and Violent Interactions” — October 20, 2009
- Astronomy's New Messengers: Listening to the Universe with Gravitational Waves — August 26th - September 6th, 2009 at the Mary Buie Museum
- International Year of Astronomy — 2009
- Celebrating 400 Years of Galileo and His Telescope — September 14, 2009
- Einstein's Cosmic Messengers Concert — February 5-6, 2009
- 2008 Physics Nobel Prize
- LHC Startup Party
- MAP (Mississippi Association of Physicists) Fall Meeting — November 8, 2008
- Spooky Science Open House — October 31, 2008
- 2008 Sigma Pi Sigma Induction
- QuarkNet Workshop — June 23 - 25, 2008
- DOSAR Workshop VI — April 17-18, 2008
- Fourth Gulf Coast Gravity Meeting, Oxford MS — March 7-8, 2008
- APS 2007 Physics News
- Scientific Instrument Collections in Universities Workshop (SICU2) — 21 - 24 June 2007
- MAP ( Mississippi Association of Physicists) Spring Meeting — February 17, 2007
- Workshop/School on gravity and theoretical physics — January 8-11, 2007
- MAP ( Mississippi Association of Physicists) Spring Meeting — April 8, 2006
- Visit to LIGO Site — April 7, 2006
- SPS (Society of Physics Students) Zone 10 Meeting — March 31 - April 1, 2006
- Quantum Gravity 2005 (QG05) Conference
- 2005 Commencement
- DOSAR Workshop '05 at Ole' Miss
- 2004 Muon Collider - Ring Cooler Workshop