MINUTES OF THE COUNCIL OF ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATORS
1:30 p.m., Monday, March 1, 2004, in Lyceum 200
PRESENT: Dr. Staton, Deans Hopkins, Eftink, Davis, Lee, Stocks, Rholes, Chitwood, and
Sullivan-Gonzalez, Dr. Hawley for Dean Reithel, Dr. Bates for Dean Chambless,
Dr. Hufford for Dean Wells, Dr. Acevedo, Ms. Nadeau, Mr. Miller for Dr. Fant,
Dr. Hall, Dr. Womer, Dr. Kathy Gates, Dr. Gispen
ABSENT: Dean Reithel, Dean Chambless, Dean Wells, Ms. Ziegelmayer, Dr. Angle,
Dr. Fant, Dr. Clark, Dr. Charles Gates
1. Approval of Minutes. The Provost announced that Chancellor Khayat has approved the minutes of the December 8 and January 12 meetings of the Council of Academic Administrators without exception.
2. Reaction to Undergraduate Council Minutes of January 9 and February 6. On a motion by Dean Sullivan-Gonzalez and a second by Dean Davis, the Council unanimously approved the Undergraduate Council Minutes of January 9. On a motion by Dean Sullivan-Gonzalez and a second by Dean Rholes, the Council unanimously approved the Undergraduate Council Minutes of February 6.
3. Reaction to Graduate Council Minutes of November 11. On a motion by Dean Davis and a second by Dean Rholes, the Council unanimously approved the Graduate Council Minutes of November 11.
4. Wireless Network Approval Process (see Attachment #1). Dr. Kathy Gates described the justification for this proposal, chiefly in terms of its ability to help the University plan for service needs associated with wireless networks, to obtain compatible equipment, and to prevent the establishment of wireless networks that might threaten the security of the main campus computer network. Dr. Gispen wondered whether this policy anticipated that progress in the area of wireless networks would proceed from the bottom up in the university rather than, as he thought appropriate, from the top down. Discussion followed as to whether the university was in a position to install wireless networks for the entire campus at once, and whether this policy was an appropriate way to begin oversight of wireless development on campus in the interim. On a motion by Dean Rholes and a second by Dean Davis, the Council unanimously approved the Wireless Network Approval Process.
5. Taylor Medalists (see Attachment #2). After some discussion concerning whether a student with a 4.0 G.P.A. had been inadvertently neglected in the Taylor Medal selection process, and on a motion by Dean Davis and a second by Dean Eftink, the Council unanimously approved as Taylor Medal recipients the 40 names forwarded to the Council from the Taylor Medal Selection Committee and the Undergraduate Council.
6. Adjournment. After brief announcements concerning several other matters, the Council adjourned at 2:07 p.m.
APPROVED by Chancellor Khayat on April 26, 2004.