1:30 p.m., Monday, August 24, 1998, in the Lyceum Board Room
PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Hopkins, Boxx, Eftink, Chambless, S. Davis, Smith, Roberts, J. Davis, Meador, Dr. Williamson, Mr. Hammack, Dr. Clark, Ms. Fant, Dr. Staton, Dr. Borne, Dr. Oliphant
ABSENT: Mr. Wilkins
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Luanne Buchanan and Dr. Christy Wyandt
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Walton announced that the Chancellor had approved the Minutes of the June 15 meeting without exception.
2. Reaction to the Minutes of the Undergraduate Council of July 24, 1998. Dean Roberts made a motion to accept the Minutes of the Undergraduate Council of July 24 with some revisions. The motion was seconded by Dean Chambless. The motion was approved. The revisions referred to language on page 5 (section dealing with Student Health Services) and the correction of a typo on page 11 under "Admission of International Students" (see Attachment #4, pages 5 and 11, of Undergraduate Council Minutes).
3. Simultaneous Enrollment at the University of Mississippi and Other Schools. Charlie Clark raised the point that the prohibition on page 122 of the catalog which refers to simultaneous enrollment at Ole Miss and other schools was creating a problem at the DeSoto Center and in Tupelo. Dr. Luanne Buchanan spoke more specifically to the problems this was creating. There was much discussion about whether Academic Council could adopt a policy which would allow DeSoto Center students and Tupelo Center students to take lower division (i.e., community college) courses at those off-campus centers while taking Ole Miss courses there and at the same time continue to prohibit Oxford students from taking community college courses. Dean Hopkins suggested that Dean Clark and others draft language to look at this problem. If the language would permit simultaneous enrollment with deanís approval, Dean Hopkins suggested that the dean who "owns" the course needs to be the dean who would be giving approval.
4. Extension of the Pre-Tenure Probationary Period (see Attachment #1).
Dr. Christy Wyandt proposed an extension of pre-tenure probationary period be allowed under extraordinary circumstances. She gave a history of the study that has been done at Ole Miss, and she spoke of many other institutions which had this kind of policy. The Academic Council decided to limit the extension to one year only and that that limitation should be added to the first paragraph of the policy and that section point B should be deleted. Upon a motion by Dean Sam Davis, seconded by Dean Hopkins, the proposal was adopted. Dean Hopkins cautioned that the language of this policy be examined to make sure that it paralleled the University tenure and promotion policy, and the Academic Council asked Dr. Wyandt to examine that and adjust the language for their review.
Minutes of the Academic Council
August 24, 1998
5. Board Rule Allowing Immediate Tenure. Dr. Walton confirmed that there is a Board rule that allows for administrator/employees to be hired with immediate tenure.
6. Requirement of 2.0 GPA. Dr. Walton expressed reservations about the requirement that students must have a 2.0 GPA in required work to graduate. He was particularly concerned about community college/transfer students who had less than a 2.0 GPA at their prior institution. The Academic Council chose to take no action but rather asked that a small committee be assigned to look at the restart program and the transfer issues. Dr. Hopkins volunteered for the committee. Dr. Eftink, Dr. Dan Mattern, and Dr. Gary Miller will also be asked to serve.
7. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date