MINUTES OF THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL
1:30 p.m., Monday, January 13, 1997, in the Board Room of the Lyceum
PRESENT: Deans Abadie, Boxx, Chambless, Champion, Smith, Roberts, Davis, Meador,
Dr. Gilbert, Mr. Stricker, Mr. Oesterling for Dr. Clark, Dr. Staton
ABSENT: Dr. Walton, Dean Dingerson, Mr. Blazakis, Dr. Clark, Mr. Posey
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Staton announced that Chancellor Khayat has
approved the minutes of the February 12, August 12, September 23, and November 4 meetings
2. Approval of POL 099. Dr. Staton announced the prior approval by
Undergraduate Council of POL 099. She explained that she had to have this on the class schedule
for the spring semester. The Academic Council approved.
3. Reaction to Undergraduate Council Minutes of October 17, 1996. The
Undergraduate Council minutes of October 17, 1996, were approved upon proper motion and
4. Reaction to Graduate Council Minutes of November 22, 1996. Graduate
Council minutes of November 22, 1996, were approved upon proper motion and second.
5. Approval of Honors College Curriculum (see Attachment #1). The first year
Honors course was approved upon proper motion and second.
6. Friday-Afternoon Classes. There was discussion about having Friday-afternoon
classes. Upon proper motion and second it was approved to hold Friday-afternoon classes
beginning in the Fall of 1997.
7. SACS Requirement that 25 Percent of Credit Hours for Degrees Be Earned
at Institutions Granting the Degree. The Undergraduate Council asked that this be placed on a
8. Summer Pay Policy (see Attachment #2). Dr. Abadie made a motion, seconded
by Dr. Roberts to approve the Summer Pay Policy.
9. Retirement Policy (see Attachment #3). The Undergraduate Council discussed
the Retirement Policy.
Minutes of the Academic Council
January 13, 1997
10. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 2:45 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date