1:30 p.m., Monday, July 21, 1997, in the Lyceum Board Room
PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Abadie, Boxx, Cole for Dingerson, Chambless, S. Davis, Smith, Roberts, J. Davis, Meador, Mr. Thigpen for Mr. Hammack, Mr. Oesterling for Dr. Clark, Ms. Buchanan for Mr. Posey, Mr. Woodruff, Dr. Staton, Dr. Eftink, and Dr. Oliphant
ABSENT: Dean Dingerson, Dr. Green, Mr. Hammack, Mr. Wilkins, Mr. Clark, Mr. Posey
ALSO PRESENT: Ms. Sabrina Brown and Mr. Gary Bridgman
1. Catalog Covers. Sabrina Brown and Gary Bridgman from Publications presented copies of designs for the University Catalog. Dean Abadie made a motion, seconded by Dean Chambless not to include the phrase "Ole Miss" on the cover of the University Catalog. The motion passed 8-3 with Dean Allie Smith, Dean Jimmy Davis, and Calvin Thigpen opposing. Academic Council requested that Dr. Staton ask the Undergraduate Council what their preference is regarding the phrase "Ole Miss."
2. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Walton announced that the Chancellor had approved the Minutes of the June 2 meeting without exception.
3. Further Consideration of Class Dismissals on Afternoon of Thursday, November 6. Mr. Thigpen spoke on behalf of the ASB about class dismissals on November 6.
Mr. Thigpen said that the students opposed making up classes on Saturday, November 8, and made the motion that classes not be made up on November 8. The motion died for lack of a second.
4. Consideration of Proposed Consulting Policy (see Attachment #1). After some discussion, Dean Boxx, seconded by Dean Smith, made a motion to approve the procedure to the consulting policy that was in Attachment 1, page 3, and to accept the policy. The motion was approved.
5. Policy for Extension of the Pre-Tenure Probationary Period (see Attachment #2). After some discussion, there was a consensus that Dr. Staton would look at the AAUP standards before we proceed further with this matter. The Academic Council wants to see if the AAUP has taken a stand on this particular issue.
6. New Promotion and Tenure Timetables (see Attachment #3). Upon a motion by Dean Abadie, seconded by Dean Roberts, the Academic Council approved timetables for promotion and tenure as follows: Only those dossiers for promotion and tenure will be due on December 10. Those dossiers for promotion alone will be due on the current date in early January.
Minutes of the Academic Council
July 21, 1997
7. Teacher Evaluations. Upon a motion by Dean Smith, seconded by Dr. Cole, the Academic Council approved ordering additional needed forms for the current teacher evaluation. Upon a motion by Dean Chambless, seconded by Dean Abadie, the Academic Council approved a motion that the Provost appoint an appropriate group to study redesign of the teacher evaluation form.
8. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
APPROVED: (except for item 1)
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date