1:30 p.m., Monday, July 20, 1998, in the Lyceum Board Room
PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Eftink, Chambless, S. Davis, Smith, Roberts, J. Davis, Meador, Dr. Dean, Dr. Williamson, Dr. Clark, Ms. Fant, Dr. Staton, Dr. Borne, Dr. Oliphant
ABSENT: Mr. Wilkins, Mr. Hammack
ALSO PRESENT: Keith Womer
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Walton announced that the Chancellor had approved the Minutes of the May 18, 1998, meeting without exception.
2. Reaction to the Minutes of the Undergraduate Council of June 12, 1998. Dr. Womer raised concerns about the merchandising program of Family and Consumer Sciences. He stated that he believed they were business courses and made a motion that we table the course and programmatic changes in Family and Consumer Sciences. The motion was seconded by Dean Jimmy Davis. Upon a vote of 4-5 the motion failed.
Dean Jimmy Davis made a motion to have a substitute provision for item 5 of the Undergraduate Council minutes. Dean Jim Chambless seconded. The motion was to have a dead day on Tuesday of the fall semesters for 1999 and 2000 and to begin final exams on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday. The motion was approved.
Upon a motion by Dean Chambless seconded by Dean Allie Smith, the Academic Council accepted the Minutes of the Undergraduate Council of June 12, 1998, with the one exception of item 5. There was one vote cast against accepting the minutes.
3. Changes to Promotion Policy (see Attachment #1). Dr. Walton said that these changes were merely clarifications of current promotion policies. Upon a motion by Dean Allie Smith, seconded by Dean Sam Davis, the changes were approved.
4. Faculty Survey. Dr. Walton stated that in 1989 the Higher Education Research Institute from UCLA conducted a survey of faculty, and Ole Miss participated. He asked the Academic Council if we wished to participate in a new survey. There are attendant costs to participating in the survey, and it was unclear if the results had been helpful to the University. The Academic Council declined to take any action on this matter.
Minutes of the Academic Council
July 20, 1998
5. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 2:25 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date