1:30 p.m., Monday, June 2, 1997, in the Lyceum Board Room
PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Abadie, Boxx, Cole for Dingerson, Chambless, Champion, Smith, Roberts, Davis, Meador, Dr. Green, Dr. Clark, Mr. Posey, Dr. Staton
ABSENT: Dean Dingerson, Mr. Blazakis, Mr. Stricker
ALSO PRESENT: Ms. Fant
1. Introduction of Maurice Eftink, Karen Green, and Charlotte Fant. Dr. Walton welcomed Dr. Maurice Eftink, Professor Karen Green, and Ms. Charlotte Fant to the Academic Council.
2. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Walton announced that the Chancellor had approved the Minutes of the March 17, 1997, meeting without exception.
3. Reaction to the Minutes of the Undergraduate Council of May 8 and May 20, 1997. Upon a motion by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dean Davis, the Academic Council approved the minutes of the Undergraduate Council of May 8, with the stipulation that items number 5 and number 6 of the Undergraduate Council minutes would be accepted only for purposes of suggestions for further studies, and they are not accepted as recommendations by the Academic Council at this time. Upon a motion by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dean Boxx, the Undergraduate Council minutes of May 20, 1997, were approved.
4. EDLD Courses. The Academic Council expressed its desire that there be a discussion by the School of Education on all EDLD courses. Dean Chambless said that the School of Education would have such an examination of the EDLD curriculum and would plan to do that in the fall of 1997. Dr. Walton said in addition he would have a study about the EDLD courses, and that he would appoint a committee to look at those courses as well as US 101.
5. Reaction to the Minutes of the Graduate Council of March 7 and April 29, 1997. Upon a motion by Dean Boxx seconded by Dr. Cole, the minutes of the Graduate Council of March 7, 1997, were approved. Upon a motion by Dean Boxx seconded by Dean Abadie, the minutes of the Graduate Council of April 29, 1997, were approved.
6. November 6 Football Game (see Attachment #1). The Academic Council recommended that classes end at 12:15 on Thursday, November 6, and that Thursday afternoon classes which would normally meet at 1:00 meet on Saturday, November 8, beginning at 8:00 a.m. The following schedule will be in effect: Classes scheduled on November 6 at 1:00 will meet on Saturday, November 8, at 8:00 a.m.; classes scheduled on November 6 at 2:30 will meet on Saturday, November 8, at 9:30 a.m; classes scheduled on Thursday at 4:00 will meet on Saturday, November 8, at 11:00 a.m; Thursday evening classes are scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Dr. Walton suggested that the Personnel Committee look at the ramifications of the
Minutes of the Academic Council
June 2, 1997
non-teaching staff working on Saturday, November 8. The Academic Council also voted to delete number 6 from the recommendations made by Dr. Mullins’ Ad Hoc Planning Committee (see memo of May 30, 1997). They further voted to change the time in recommendation number 1 from "noon" until 1:00. Therefore, the first sentence in recommendation 1 should read the Starnes Center and west side stadium parking lots will be locked until 1:00.
7. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date