PRESENT: Dr. Staton, Deans Hopkins, Womer, Eftink, Chambless, S. Davis, Lee, J. Davis, and Meador, Dr. Hufford for Dean Sindelar, Dr. Haws for Dr. Bush, Ms. Morrison, Ms. Fant, Dr. Stocks, Dr. Gates
ABSENT: Dean Sindelar, Dr. Bush, Mr. Rebman, Dr. Angle, Dr. Borne, Dr. Buskes, Dr. Wyandt
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Thomas Crowe
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Staton announced that Chancellor Khayat has approved the minutes of the December 11 and January 8 meetings without exception.
2. School of Applied Sciences and Professional Studies. Dr. Staton welcomed Dr. Thomas Crowe and announced that Dr. Crowe had agreed to serve as Interim Dean of the new School of Applied Sciences and Professional Studies. Dr. Staton also announced that Dr. Linda Chitwood would serve as the Interim Associate Dean.
3. Reaction to Undergraduate Council Minutes of March 2. On a motion by Dean Chambless and a second by Dean Hopkins, the Undergraduate Council Minutes of March 2 were unanimously approved. Some discussion followed concerning the appropriate number of Taylor Medalists to be awarded and whether the current number should be increased. No consensus was reached on this discussion.
4. Fall Break Survey Results (see Attachment #1). Dr. Staton presented the results of a fall break survey conducted by Monica Morrison. Dr. Staton pointed out that the majority of students preferred a week-long Thanksgiving break rather than a fall break in mid-October. No action was taken on this issue.
5. Shortened Semester (see Attachment #2). Dr. Stocks distributed a handout that described a revised class schedule that would result in a shortened semester by up to two weeks. Dr. Staton reviewed discussions that had taken place at the chief academic officers' meetings at recent IHL Board meetings. Dr. Staton asked deans to review the proposal and to discuss the advantages and disadvantages with chairs. Dr. Staton also asked that deans forward all comments to Dr. Stocks.
6. Announcements. Dr. Staton announced that enrollment applications
for the fall were significantly higher than the same point last year. Dr. Staton
asked that deans begin to consider how they might handle an increase in enrollment
of approximately 300 freshmen.
7. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 2:30 p.m.
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Chair Date
Morris H. Stocks, Secretary Date
APPROVED by Chancellor Khayat on March 30, 2001.