PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Abadie, Westerfield, Smith, Davis, and Meador, Dr. Ann Canty and Dr. Del Hawley for Dean Boxx, Dr. Don Cole for Dean Dingerson, Dr. Gene Anderson for Dean Chambless, Dr. Dewey Garner for Dean Roberts, Dr. Winn Jordan for Dr. Ray, Dr. Clark, Dr. Staton
ABSENT: Dean Boxx, Dean Dingerson, Dean Chambless, Dean Roberts, Dr. Ray, Mr. Hutchinson, Mr. Kostopulos, Mr. Posey
ALSO PRESENT: Chancellor Robert Khayat
1. Approval of Minutes. It was announced that Chancellor Khayat has approved the minutes of the January 22 meeting without exception.
2. Building Mayors. Chancellor Khayat spoke about the Mayors' Program, and specifically about cleanliness, minor repairs, recycling plan, security plan, and a climate control plan. There will be pilot programs in Barr, Bishop, Conner, the Turner Center and the Union. Chancellor Khayat spoke about the fire protection situation with the City of Oxford. If Oxford does not provide fire protection he plans for the campus Office of Public Safety (formerly UPD) to take over the fire protection aspect.
3. Academic Restart Policy at Copiah-Lincoln Community College. Dr. Staton reported that the Undergraduate Council had approved a request by Copiah-Lincoln College to accept students and grades from their academic restart program. The Undergraduate Council furthermore decided that it wished to develop an Academic Restart Program for The University of Mississippi.
4. Request for Listing of Majors on Diplomas. Dr. Staton reported that Undergraduate Council had recommended against adding the student's major on diplomas (see Attachment #1).
5. 1996 Taylor Medalists. Dr. Staton said that the Undergraduate Council had approved the Taylor Medalists. Dr. Canty reported that the Taylor Medal Committee made a decision that Pharmacy should make a recommendation regarding students who were in the process of converting over from a five-year to a six-year program. Upon a motion by Dean Smith, seconded by Dean Abadie, the Academic Council approved the Taylor Medalists.
6. May 1996 Afternoon Commencement Ceremonies. Dr. Walton announced that there will be individual college and school programs in the afternoon rather than a consolidated afternoon program as there has been in past years.
7. Administrative Council. Dr. Walton Reported on the Administrative Council meeting of March 4, 1996.
Minutes of the Academic Council
March 4, 1996
8. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date