MINUTES OF THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL
1:30 p.m., Monday, March 17, 1997, in the Board Room of the Lyceum
PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Abadie, Boxx, Dingerson, Chambless, Champion, Smith,
Roberts, Davis, Meador, Dr. Gilbert, Mr. Stricker, Dr. Clark, Mr. Posey,
ABSENT: Mr. Blazakis
ALSO PRESENT: Mr. Gene Hartley, Dr. Bill Oliphant, Dr. Dennis Tosh
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Walton announced that the Chancellor had
approved the Minutes of the January 27 meeting without exception.
2. Reaction to the Minutes of the Undergraduate Council of December 18, February 7, February 21, and February 28. Upon a motion made by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dean Abadie, the minutes of the Undergraduate Council meeting of
December 18, 1996, were approved. Upon a motion by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dean
Davis, the Undergraduate Council minutes of February 7, 1997, were approved. Upon a
motion by Dr. Gilbert, seconded by Dean Boxx, the Undergraduate Council minutes of
February 21, 1997, were approved. It was recommended here that there be more careful
drafting of the section that pertained to the admission of special students. Upon a motion by
Dr. Gilbert, seconded by Dean Boxx, the Undergraduate Council minutes of February 28,
1997, were approved.
3. Reaction to the Minutes of the Graduate Council of January 17,
February 7, and February 21. The Graduate Council minutes of January 17, 1997,
February 7, 1997, and February 21, 1997, were approved upon a motion by Dean Dingerson,
seconded by Dean Davis.
4. Final Examination Schedules for Fall 1997 and Spring 1998 (see
Attachment #1). The final examination schedule for the Fall 1997 and Spring 1998 were
approved upon a motion by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dean Boxx.
5. Consulting Policy (see Attachment #2). After much discussion about the consulting policy, a motion was made by Dr. Dingerson, seconded by Dr. Roberts, that
Mr. Hartley and Dr. Dennis Tosh add a section to the proposed consulting policy dealing with
procedural aspects. This motion was approved. Once the additional information has been put
in the proposed consulting policy, the policy will then go to the Faculty Senate again for its
6. Research Personnel Procedure. There was some discussion about the
research personnel procedure. It was decided that the procedure for research personnel
would be sent to the Faculty Senate for its review and comments.
Minutes of the Academic Council
March 17, 1997
7. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date