1:30 p.m., Monday, November 20, 1995, in the Board Room of the Lyceum
PRESENT: Dr. Walton, Deans Abadie, Boxx, Dingerson, Dr. Jim Chambless for Dean Payne, Dr. Bill Oliphant for Dean Westerfield, Deans Smith, Roberts, Davis, Meador, Dr. Ray, Dr. Clark, Mr. Posey, Dr. Staton
ABSENT: Dean Payne, Dean Westerfield, Mr. Hutchinson, Mr. Kostopulos
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Susan Swayze
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Staton announced that Chancellor Khayat had approved the minutes of the Academic Council meeting of October 9 without exception.
2. New Graduate Student Survey and New Alumni Survey. Dr. Jim Nichols introduced Dr. Susan Swayze, who has joined his staff, replacing Dr. Lori Wolff.
3. Minutes of the Graduate Council Meeting of October 13. Upon a motion by Dr. Dingerson, seconded by Dr. Boxx, the Academic Council accepted the Graduate Council minutes of October 13.
4. Minutes of the Undergraduate Council Meeting of October 6. Upon a motion by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dean Boxx, the Academic Council accepted the Undergraduate Council minutes of October 6. Dr. Abadie asked, and the Academic Council agreed, to delete the reference to the College of Liberal Arts on page one of attachment #2 so that the reference to the College of Liberal Arts on page 11 of the catalog is deleted with regard to the BSFCS degree.
5. Report from the Faculty Senate. Dr. Ray reported for the Faculty Senate and stated that the Faculty Senate intended to do a review of US 101. Regarding a fall break the Faculty Senate did not want to extend the
Thanksgiving holidays to a full fall break. He mentioned additionally that the Faculty Senate planned to examine the Greek system at Ole Miss. He also reported that the Faculty Governance Committee of the Senate wanted to create a committee to review the reviews of directors, chairs, deans, etc., that would be both a substantive and procedural review.
6. Petitions Review Committee. Upon a motion by Dean Roberts, seconded by Dr. Ray, the Academic Council with one negative vote approved leaving the Petitions Review Committee as it is currently operating.
7. Student Senate Resolutions 96-6 and 96-7. Dr. Walton distributed two Student Senate Resolutions which he said we would focus on at a later meeting (see Attachment #1).
8. Associates and Partners Proposals. Dr. Walton asked the deans to rank the Associates and Partners grants.
Minutes of the Academic Council
November 20, 1995
9. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Gerald W. Walton, Chair Date
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date