1:30 p.m., Monday, October 11, 1999, in the Martindale Board Room
PRESENT: Dr. Staton, Deans Hopkins, Womer, Eftink, Sam Davis, Smith, Roberts, James Davis, and Meador, Dr. Vinson for Dean Chambless, Dr. Stocks, Dr. Borne, Dr. Buskes, Dr. Wyandt
ABSENT: Dean Chambless, Dr. Laurenzo, Ms. Gong, Mr. Rebman, Dr.
Clark, Ms. Fant, Dr. Gates
1. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Staton announced that Chancellor Khayat has approved the minutes of the September 13, 1999, meeting without exception.
2. Visit of Secretary Donna Shalala. Dr. Borne provided a positive report of Secretary Donna Shalala's visit to the University of Mississippi Medical School and Oxford campus.
3. Reaction to Undergraduate Council Minutes of September 3. On a motion by Dr. Smith and seconded by Dr. James Davis, the Undergraduate Council Minutes of September 3, 1999, were accepted unanimously. Dr. Hopkins commented on the Undergraduate Council's approval of an appeal of the catalog six-year rule for completing course requirements for graduation. He reported that the University is forced to consider appeals on this issue on a regular basis. He suggested that the appropriateness of this six-year requirement be considered. Dr. Staton indicated that she would forward this issue to the Academic Affairs Committee of the Faculty Senate.
4. Reaction to Graduate Council Minutes of August 27. On a motion by Dean Meador, seconded by Dr. Davis, the Council unanimously approved the Graduate Council Minutes of August 27, 1999. Dean Womer expressed concern about the duplication of research design and statistics courses across disciplines. Dr. Staton indicated that she would ask the deans of the appropriate college and schools to designate a representative to meet and discuss commonalities and differences in these graduate level courses.
5. Reaction to External Academic Affairs Committee Minutes of August 24. Dr. Wyandt moved and Dean Meador seconded approval of the August 24, 1999, Minutes of the External Academic Affairs Committee. After considerable discussion of the goals statement of the External Academic Affairs Committee and of its reporting structure, the motion failed.
6. National Survey of Student Engagement (Attachment #1). Dr. Staton presented a proposal from the National Center for Higher Education Management Systems to conduct a National Survey of Student Engagement at the University of Mississippi. The Council approved this proposal by consensus.
7. Other Items.
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Chair Date
Morris H. Stocks, Secretary Date
Robert C. Khayat, Chancellor Date