MINUTES OF THE COUNCIL OF ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATORS
1:30 p.m., Monday, September 13, 1999, in the Martindale Board Room
PRESENT: Dr. Staton, Deans Hopkins, Womer, Eftink, Smith, J. Davis, Meador, and Clark, Dr. Bates for Dean Chambless, Dr. Wilson for Dean Roberts, Dr. Tew for Dr. Laurenzo, Dr. Stocks
ABSENT: Dean Chambless, Dean S. Davis, Dean
Roberts, Ms. Gong, Mr. Rebman, Ms. Fant, Dr. Borne
1. Announcements. Dr. Staton announced that the name and the composition of the Academic Council has changed. The Council will now be known as the Council of Academic Administrators, and representatives from the Graduate and Undergraduate Council have been added. In addition, Dr. Staton announced that the charge of the Council has changed to include review of the minutes of the External Academic Affairs Committee.
2. Approval of Minutes. Dr. Staton announced that Chancellor Khayat has approved the minutes of the July 12 meeting without exception.
3. Reaction to Minutes of Graduate Council Meeting of August 20. Upon a motion made by Dean Smith, seconded by Dean Hopkins, the August 20, 1999, minutes of the Graduate Council were unanimously approved.
4. Promotion Guidelines (Attachment #1). The Council reviewed the revised promotion guidelines recommended by the University Research Board. Subsequent discussion centered around the inclusion of the Vice Chancellor for Research as a step in the approval process for instructional versus research faculty. No action was taken regarding the recommended promotion guidelines. The Council agreed that a review of the overall tenure and promotion guidelines should be undertaken over the next two years.
5. SACS Report. Dr. Eftink distributed copies of the University's Response to the SACS Reaffirmation Committee's Report.
6. Other Items. Dr. Eftink reported that the computer replacement plan for faculty was under way and that computer replacement for staff would begin soon. Dr. Eftink also announced that notices for Associates and Partners grants will go out soon and suggested that no faculty member submit more than one Associates proposal and one Partners proposal. Dr. Clark distributed enrollment data for off-campus courses. Dr. Tew requested assistance for the Faculty Senate in identifying faculty members who are eligible for election to the Faculty Senate. Dr. Eftink suggested that this information is available through Human Resources.
7. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 2:15
Carolyn Ellis Staton, Chair Date
Morris H. Stocks, Secretary Date
APPROVED by Chancellor Khayat on 9/27/99