MINUTES OF THE UNDERGRADUATE COUNCIL
1 p.m., Friday, February 6, 2004, in Lyceum 110
PRESENT: Dr. Hall, Dr. Gispen, Dr. Pepper, Dr. Dyer, Dr. Blodgett, Dr. Kroeger, Dr. West,
Dr. Murchison, Dr. Fant, Dr. Wilkin, Dr. Major, Dr. Wilder, Mr. Walker
ABSENT: Ms. Fuller, Mr. Thurlow, Dr. Eftink
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Alexander Cheng
1. Engineering Curriculum Changes (see Attachment #4). Dr. Alexander Cheng, Chair, Civil Engineering, was present to discuss the Engineering curriculum changes. After discussion, and on a motion by Dr. Gispen, seconded by Dr. Major, the Council unanimously approved the Engineering changes.
2. Courses (see Attachment #1). Dr. Dyer, seconded by Dr. Major, initially moved that the Council approve the course changes for Liberal Arts. Dr. Murchison spoke to the change relating to English 321, noting that making this a 200-level course would disrupt the 2+2 arrangements we have with the community colleges at our off-campus locations. On a motion by Dr. Blodgett and a second by Dr. Wilder, the Council unanimously voted to amend the original motion to table the issue regarding English 321 until such time as the Chair arranges for Dr. Joe Urgo to speak to the Council on this issue. As so amended, the original motion to approve the course changes for Liberal Arts was approved unanimously. After discussion and on a motion by Dr. West and a second by Dr. Dyer, the Council unanimously approved the course changes for Applied Sciences.
3. Other Catalog Changes (see Attachment #2). On a motion by Dr. Gispen and a second by Dr. Wilder, these changes were unanimously approved.
4. Proposed New University Studies Courses for Study Abroad (see Attachment #3). After discussion, and on a motion by Dr. Dyer and a second by Dr. Major, the Council unanimously approved the new courses.
5. Next Meeting. The Council agreed to schedule its next meeting for February 27.
6. Other Business. The Council briefly discussed issues relating to the Taylor Medal. There was some concern as to whether changes made to the Taylor Medal selection process last year had improved the process, but the Council took no immediate action on this issue.
7. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 2:15 p.m.
All items approved by the Council of Academic Administrators on March 1, 2004.
APPROVED by Chancellor Khayat on April 26, 2004.