Smoke or Fire
NOTE: The type, severity, reactions, and impact of an incident are not always the same. The information provided below is some suggested actions to take. This may or may not be everything you should or should not do as your actions may vary depending on the incident.
- Understanding fire hazards and classes of fire in the work place will help determine appropriate course of action.
- Locate the fire alarms in your building.
- Have working portable fire extinguishers in place.
- Know where the exits are in the building.
Beginning or During
- Pull fire alarm to activate fire alarm system.
- Assist with evacuations through exit doors designated in evacuation procedures posted in each room.
- Move to the designated safe area outside the building.
- Notify University Police and E-911 by dialing 911 or 9-911.
- Put out small fires before they become major fires.
- DO NOT attempt to extinguish a fire in a smoke filled room or one that is beyond the capacity of a hand held fire extinguisher.
- Stay clear of fire fighters and other emergency personnel.
Do not reenter until proper authorities determine an ALL CLEAR.