The following are means for implementing lockdown procedures:
- Lockdown with warning – There is knowledge of a potential threat outside the building (e.g., environmental/hazmat, medical emergency, etc.)
- Lockdown with intruder – The threat/intruder is inside the building.
- Shelter-in-place provides refuge for students, faculty/staff inside a building during an emergency. Shelters should be identified in areas of the building that maximize the safety of inhabitants. Shelter-in-place is used when evacuation would put people at risk (e.g., environmental hazard, or an intruder).
Lockdown With Warning - Shelter In Place
- Depending on the nature of an incident (e.g., environmental, or other emergency) the building administrator or emergency responder should advise instructions regarding a lockdown and/or shelter in-place.
- Seek shelter in a building as quickly as possible - shelter areas may change depending on the emergency.
- Do not use elevators.
- Go into a room and shut the door.
- Close all exterior doors and windows.
- Turn off the heating and ventilation systems if controls are available.
- Use duct tape, a towel, or plastic to seal windows and doors and make an unbroken seal.
- Communicate your situation to administration or emergency officials by whatever means possible.
Lockdown For Intruder- Shelter In Place
- Depending on the nature of an incident (intruder) the building administrator or emergency responder should advise instructions regarding a lockdown and/or shelter in-place.
- Seek shelter in the nearest office or classroom.
- Lock or barricade office, classroom – DO NOT LOCK EXTERIOR DOORS.
- Turn off lights, close windows and pull shades.
- Remain quiet and do not enter hallways.
- Be prepared to ignore any fire alarm activation - the school will not be evacuated using this method. An intruder may have set the alarm off on purpose.
- Should the fire alarm sound, do not evacuate the building unless:
- You have first hand knowledge that there is a fire in the building.
- You are in imminent danger, or
- You have been advised by a public safety official to evacuate the building.
- Crouch down in areas that are out of sight from doors and windows.
- If movement is necessary, do so quietly and quickly as possible.
- Remain in building until told to evacuate by the building mayor or public safety official. DO NOT respond to anyone until “all clear” is announced.
- From an on-campus phone:
- 4-911 for campus police
- 911 for fire or ambulance
- Or go to a Code Blue Station and push the button
- From an off-campus phone:
- 911 for fire or ambulance
- (662) 915-4911 for campus police
- More Contact Numbers
Student Intervention Team
- On-campus -
- Phone: 1040
- Cable TV: Channel 69
- Off-campus -
- Phone: (662) 915-1040
- Oxford Cable TV: Channel 99