Green Grove Initiative - About Green Grove
Project "CRUNCHTIME" is a gameday recycling program that developed out of the umbrella of the Green Grove Initiative. Our program is an education and outreach program where volunteers talk with tailgaters on more efficient and sustainable tailgating practices.
We would like to give special thanks to our 2011 volunteer organizations. Without their support, we could not have been as successful.
- Associate Student Body
- Beta Epsilon chi
- Kappa Delta
- Alpha Omicron Pi
- Pi Phi
- Phi Mu
- Alpha Phi Alpha
- Delta Gamma
- Sigma Pi
- Kappa Alpha
- Beta Theta Pi
- Freshman Council
- Honors College
- Students for Green Campus
- Freshman Council
- Lambda Sigma
- Kappa Sigma
The Green Grove Campaign is a cooperative effort between the Dean of Students Office, Department of Athletics, Office of Campus Sustainability, Department of Landscape Services, the Physical Plant Department, and numerous other groups and organizations across campus.
The initiative can only be strengthened by sponsorship and partnerships with local business—including waste/recycling vendors—nonprofit organizations, and government agencies that can provide critical funding, hauling, logistical support, and staffing support to successfully implement UM’s game day recycling program.
We would like to give a special thank you to our current corporate partners, International Paper and Coca-Cola, who have offered their time and resources to help ensure the success of this program. If you or your organization is interested in partnering with our gameday recycling efforts, please email us at email@example.com for more information.
The gameday recycling program will continue to expand and improve throughout each football season. Several important elements of the program that the university is exploring for future expansion include the following:
- The Office of Sustainability plans to work more closely with its concessionaires and vendors to reduce the volume of waste they produce and to provide education on sustainable food and drink product containers that would better align with UM’s gameday recycling efforts.
- UM hopes to include more products in the recycling program, such as the ubiquitous red Solo cups, cardboard, glass, as well as organic products in the form of composting.
- Beginning in the 2010 season, UM introduced 200 clear stream recycling bins in the Grove and Circle and 100 clear stream bins in the stadium. We plan to utilize these bins and eventually add more.
- Beginning in the 2013 season, tailgaters interested in the game day recycling efforts can go the extra mile beyond basic recycling and get their tailgating tents “Green Certified.” Green Certified tents are expected to meet a higher standard of sustainability. Additional information will be provided in advance of the 2011 season.