Departmental Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Music at the University of Mississippi is to provide the highest quality music education at the undergraduate and graduate level for music majors embarking on careers as teachers, scholars, performers or composers. It is also the mission of the department to teach non-majors and members of the community about music as a part of human culture and experience.
To carry out its select mission, the University of Mississippi Department of Music commits itself to the following goals:
- To pursue nationally competitive training and development of music educators, scholars and performers;
- To prepare nationally competitive undergraduate students for successful admission into nationally recognized graduate degree programs;
- To provide nationally competitive graduate degree programs;
- To encourage scholarly activity including research and creative endeavors from faculty and students;
- To provide for the citizens in the University of Mississippi and the surrounding region by:
- encouraging faculty, students, and staff to participate in culturally enriching outreach activities
- serving a vital role through its abilities in grant and fund raising activities
- maximizing its ability to attract and retain professionally accomplished faculty
- making available, as a service to business, industry, and the general public, the unique professional expertise of the faculty and staff.