Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question? Email us!
2014-2015 FAQ's are currently being developed, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 662-915-7235 is you have any questions.
- Question – Who can park on campus?
- Answer – Any UM Staff, Student or Visitor may park on campus so long as they have acquired a current UM parking permit or decal. The only exception to this is for Visitors parking in pay-by-the-hour areas such as the Garage or Metered spaces by the Manning Center and the 1810 Grill or in special 15 minute parking stalls located near offices selling event tickets.
- Question – When do I need to be in my parking zone?
- Answer – All zones are enforced Monday-Friday from 7:30-5:00. Citations issued after 5:00PM will be for improper parking such as parking in a fire lane or handicap parking stall without the correct credentials.
- Question – What is the OPEN parking zone and who can park there?
- Answer – Open parking is a designation for a zone that allows all permit types except Park-N-Ride to park in the designated lot. UM Staff, Visitors and Students, including Residential Students may park in an OPEN designated zone so long as they do have a permit for a zone other than Park-N-Ride. A UM parking permit is required for the zone.
Permits and Decals
- Question – Do bicycles have to have a permit?
- Answer - Yes, by policy all bikes must be registered. This helps to identify them should they become lost, stolen, or confiscated, as well as promotes the proper allocation of resources such as bike racks.
- Question – Do all vehicles require a permit?
- Answer – All vehicles that park on campus must have a permit, except when parked at the meters or in the garage.
- Question – What do I do if my vehicle is in the shop and I have rental car?
- A temporary permit would need to be purchased at a daily rate. If it is a long term situation you make take the permit of your vehicle that is in the shop and bring it in for a replacement for the rental and then vise-versa when the vehicle is returned. Depending on how long the vehicle is in the shop this may be the most economical.
- Question – I sold my car or I wrecked my car and don’t have the permit that was on it?
- You can provide information from your insurance company about the accident and we would then provide you a replacement permit at the current replacement rate. If you sell your vehicle a copy of the bill-of-sale could be provided to receive the replacement rate.
Transportation and Buses
- Question – How much is the fare for the O.U.T. buses?
- The bus fare in most cases is FREE for all University Staff and Students. Simply present your current UM ID card to the driver as you board the bus. Fares for the general public are $1.00 for Adults. For more info: O.U.T. Schedule and Fees.
- Question – What time do the buses run?
- Answer – The main city routes of Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow and Green typically run from about 6:00AM to 9:00PM Monday-Friday. Exact time may vary by route, please see O.U.T. Schedule and Fees for more info. University Park-N-Ride shuttles (Gold and Brown Routes) run from 7:00AM-7:00PM Monday-Friday during the Spring and Fall Semesters.
Garage and Meters
- Question – If I purchase a Faculty/Staff Garage permit can I park in any Faculty/Staff Space?
- Answer – No, during the hours between 7:30am – 5:00pm Monday – Friday, you would be restricted to the Garage parking area. All other times campus is open parking.
- Question – I already have a permit, do I have to pay to park in the Garage or Metered Spaces.
- Answer – Yes, the Garage is a premium parking zone that has a limited number of reserved spaces. The remaining spaces are on demand pay-by-the-hour parking available to any UM Staff, Student or Visitor. Metered spaces are available at the Manning Center for use by visitors to the 1810 Grill as well as others who may wish to park there. All cars parked in a metered space are required to pay the meter fees regardless of the presence of a UM parking permit.
Citations and Fines
- Question – How do I appeal a citation?
- Answer – One may appeal if the citation is within a 7-day window of the date issued. This may be done on-line through your MyParking account. If you wish to do this in person appeal online and indicate this. The student appeals committee meets at set times Monday-Friday. For more info: CITATIONS
- Question – I parked in a parking space with a number on it. Why did I get a citation?
- Answer – Athletics has put numbers on some of the parking stalls in close proximity to the football and baseball stadiums. These numbers represent a location where Athletics has sold a specific stall or location to a game-day/event parking permit holder. Some of the locations are not valid parking spaces during the normal day-to-day operations. Valid locations will always have white lines indicating the parking stall.
Football Game Day Parking
- Question – Where do I park on Game Day?
- Answer – Parking on campus during home football games is controlled by the Athletics Department. All non-residential parking stalls are sold through the Athletics Foundation and campus is closed to general parking. General parking is available at various locations throughout Oxford with shuttle services to the campus. For more Information – www.olemissfb.com