Goals and Objectives
- To provide a confidential, safe, respectful and welcoming space where our students can openly and honestly voice their concerns, and where someone will mindfully listen, answer their questions or find someone else who can.
- To promote self-advocacy on behalf of our students, empowering them to speak and act respectfully on their own behalf where appropriate.
- To assist our students in a thorough evaluation of their concern and an assessment of their options to determine if their issue can first be resolved informally and at the lowest possible appropriate University unit, or whether the issue requires more formal consideration.
- To provide comprehensive information, resources, education, and appropriate referrals to our students, explaining and clarifying University policies and procedures, so that they can more easily persist and navigate through the formal administrative system if necessary.
- To act as a supportive liaison between our students and faculty and staff and to advocate on behalf of fairness, justice, open communication and expeditious resolution.
- To empower our students so that they can be successful in meeting their intellectual, interpersonal and developmental goals while at Ole Miss.
- To collaborate with University colleagues to promote cooperation and mutually respectful partnerships in assisting students in understanding and navigating campus bureaucracy.
- To create and maintain a comprehensive database for tracking our students' complaints and concerns from beginning to resolution, that will thoroughly comply with SACS institutional requirements.
- To recommend to University administration any changes that the Student Advocate believes appropriate, that would improve or enhance existing policies and procedures and better serve our students.