Dumpster use and safety:
The University of Mississippi provides trash collection dumpsters on campus. These dumpsters are for the University of Mississippi community's use and are only to be used for the disposal of campus generated material. The disposal of private household waste anywhere on the University of Mississippi campus is prohibited. Due to the unknown contents of a trash container and the associated potential safety hazards, it is prohibited on campus for individuals to enter or remove items from dumpsters or other trash receptacles.
The days when practically anything could be sent to the landfill are long since passed. If you have any questions about what items are permitted to go into a dumpster, accidentally discard an item into a dumpster, or if you wish to report hazardous material(s) improperly placed into a dumpster or campus trash receptacle, please contact Landscape Services at (662)915-1846.
Please note the following:
- Place items inside dumpster, do not stack items outside dumpster, the dumpster can not be emptied if items are stacked or blocking the dumpster.
- Broken glass should be placed in a cardboard box, taped shut, and marked as broken glass prior to its placement in the trash dumpster.
- If you are unsure how to properly dispose of your campus waste contact Health and Safety or Landscape Services Department.
- If you need a dumpster serviced call Campus Dispatch (662)915-7087 or Landscape Services (662)915-1846.
- Don't enter a dumpster for any purpose
- Don't climb on a dumpster for any reason.
- Don't scavenge.
- Don't park in front of a dumpster.
The following items should NOT be placed into our trash dumpsters at any time:
- Any biohazardous, radioactive, hazardous, regulated medical waste. You may contact Health and Safety for proper disposal.
- Any University of Mississippi items containing a property sticker, contact Procurement Services.
- Any appliances- including but not limited to refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, stoves, ovens, grills and dehumidifiers. Contact Landscape Services, (662)915-1846.
- Cell phone batteries, rechargeable batteries, contact Health and Safety.
- Automobile batteries, tires, motor oil, contact Physical Plant Service Station (662)915-7304.
- Paint, rollers, buckets, spray cans, contact Health and Safety.
- Any aerosol can containing materials, contact Health and Safety.
- Private household waste or yard waste
- Construction or demolition debris
- Cigarettes, cigars or objects that may be burning
- Smoke detectors, contact Health and Safety.
Construction dumpster on campus:
A construction dumpster may be requested by SAP order to Landscape Services for temporary use. Construction dumpster should be set on a hard paved surface as to not damage landscaping or turf areas and not to obstruct traffic or emergency services. The placement of the construction dumpster shall be approved by Landscape Services and the Campus Fire Marshal. The Department ordering the dumpster is responsible for contacting Landscape Services, via SAP order with account number, when the container is ready for removal or to be emptied and returned.
Solid Waste Removal
FY 2013 - 2,460.42 tons
FY 2012 - 2,384.22 tons
FY 2011 - 2,100.73 tons
FY 2010 - 2,079.40 tons
Physical Plant Department offers paper shredder services for campus departments needing sensitive papers shredded. Please send a SAP work order to Physical Plant Department or call at 662-915-7051.
Small Waste Receptacles Specifications on Campus:
The Victor Stanley trash cans on campus are ordered from:
Contract Connection, Inc.
504 South 2nd Street
Jacksonville, FL 32250
They are the only distributor for Victor Stanley products.
The specs for the can are
Model VS-T-32 36 gal Receptacle w/ Standard Lid & Liner
Model VS-S-2 36 gal Formed Dome Lid
The color is Taverne Green
It takes at least 3 months for shipping.
If you need any other info, please contact:
Bonnie Black, Administrative Coordinator
Phone: (662) 915-1846